Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Gambler

I'm not a very good poker player, but it seems as of late, like I have been holding onto a hand that I should have long since folded. Sure there have been moments when it looked like maybe the cards were going to turn into my favor, but alas, luck didn't seem to be on my side. Then, out of the blue yesterday, I was reminded of this song.

Kenny Rogers the Gambler

"You gotta know when to hold'em."
"Know when to fold'em."
"Know when to walk away and know when to run."
"You never count your money, when you're sitting at the table, there time enough for counting, when the dealing is done."

I think that it's not that I have been dealt a junk hand, it's that I have just been playing the same hand over and over again, expecting a different result. A losing hand is a losing hand and a winning hand is a winning hand. No sense in playing the same hand over and over again. Learn from you wins and loses.

I have decided to go back to the beginning and reignite the core of why I do what I do. Maybe I had forgotten my true reason for beginning on this journey. Time to remind myself of my past, in a constructive way. It's not that I am dwelling on the past, but more of a motivation as to why I started this journey in the first place. Only this time, I have more knowledge and experience to build a better foundation. A reshuffling of the deck.

In my retail career, I've always tried to stay grounded in never forgetting where I came from. Remembering what it was like to be that part-time cashier/stocker working for minimum wage. I have always took pride in how relate-able I was to my employees because I never let my position go to my head. Time for me to reacquaint myself with my purpose. 

Time to stop worrying about results and concern myself with working on myself more and letting the cards fall where they may. There are obviously still glaring holes in my journey. Still things that I must learn and thing that I am good at but must become better. I enjoy my life's calling, but I have seemed to lost a part of my way recently. Time to retrace some steps and reflect on what it took to get me where I am today. Remember where I came from and set a reignited fire inside of me to blaze the next part of my journey.

Adapt, Improvise, And Overcome to be your very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment