Thursday, August 16, 2012

Fear Paid Me A Visit

Four weeks ago, I wrote a blog entitled : "Me and My Precipice" and told about a change coming in my life and how I was going forward without fear. I realized this week, that I may have spoken to soon. I thought that I was closer to the edge than I really was. It was also a reality check for me, because I realized that I am still further away than I had first thought. I have been exchanging emails with a friend of mine about making this change in my life. This change will be the biggest risk that I have ever taken. When I received one of his emails this week, for some reason fear decided to pay me a visit. I got that uneasy feeling in my stomach, that internal trembling sensation, and a huge does of "are you doing the right thing?". They say, "The bigger the risk, the bigger the reward." I understand that concept and I realize that my success is ultimately up to me. I will need and will receive help along the way, but it's up to me to put in the work. No one can make me successful, that it up to me.

Instead of accepting the fear as fact, I embraced it as a natural reaction. I didn't feed my fear with negative thoughts and running away from it. I took the fear and analyzed it for what it really was, a fear of the unknown. I don't know what the future holds, I can only rely on this very moment. I don't even know how my day will end. As I began to embrace my fear, I felt it growing stronger. I knew that running from it would not fix it. I have to face it head on. A part of me wanted to ignore it and wait for it to pass, that has never worked for me in the pass, and I didn't expect it to this time either. As I began to listen to the fear, I was able to rationalize what it was that I was really fearing....failure. The heavy dose of PMA (positive mental attitude) that I have been feeding myself for the past two years came in very handy. The time and effort that I have spent in developing me, paid off.

By the end of the day, the fear had pretty much went away. My wife was there of me to lean on and be my strength when I felt weak. She is an amazing woman and believes in when I need her the most.So when you feel weak, fearful, or unloved, don't be afraid to lean on those who have supported you the most. Embrace those emotions and realize that you are stronger than any of those emotions. One of my favorite quotes from Les Brown is, "Ask for help, not because you are weak, but ask for help to stay strong. Ask for help and don't stop until you get it."

I found this great passage online; "Courage is "taking action is spite of fear." In fact, you can only experience courage in the face of fear. Fear is our greatest obstacle to living happy, peaceful and powerful lives. The true definition of fear is "anticipation of pain." Since anticipation is based in the future and the future only exists in our imagination, fear does not exist in reality. It only lives in our head." -by T. Harv Eker

Needless to say, I am still moving forward in the pursuit of my passions and dreams. I will not allow fear to hold me back. I understand that fear will visit me again but once again it will meet up with the fire that burns inside of me to make a better life for me, my family, and those whom I come into contact with. I do not welcome fear, but I will answer the door when it knocks with courage.

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment