Sunday, February 26, 2012

Where Did You Come From?

I'll get to my message in a moment, but first I just want to share something with everyone. PLEASE, reap into your life, with faith knowing that it will happen, tend to that which you have sown, with faith that it will grow into something greater than you can imagine, and be patient for the right time to reap, and it will be spectacular. That which I have sown, over a year ago, is just now starting to be harvested and words cannot explain how I feel about what I am being blessed with.

So here is what has been on my heart as of late. I love the Rocky movies and every since I was a kid, there was always one line that stood out in my mind. I don't think that I have it word for word, but you will get the idea. 

"Don't forget where you came from and what it took to get you here."

I had a very humble beginning in retail. I worked as a bottle boy at a local grocery store, sorting out glass beer, wine, and pop bottles to be send back to the bottlers. It was a dirty job that nobody wanted, it was where nobody saw me, and I was the one who always got called to clean up messes in the store when things got broken. Kind of the bottom of the bottom. From that position, I wanted to prove that I was worth more than that. I worked my tail off and less than a year later, my co-workers voted me employee of the month. As my career in retail moved from company to company and position to position, I never forgot that experience as a bottle boy. 


I have had the opportunity to be the store manager of several stores and for a few different companies and I've kept those words close to my heart, "Never forget where you came from and what it took to get you here." I've always reminded myself what it feels like to be that cashier, stocker, janitor, and even assistant manager. I remember the work that I had to put in in all of those position to get where I am today. The blood, sweat, and tears of being in those positions.


Now when I say "don't forget", it doesn't mean to let your past hold you back. Don't allow your past to define your future. But stay humble, grounded, and relate-able to those who haven't made it to where you are yet. I have had those kind of people in my life, both personally and professionally. Remember the work, commitment, and faith that it took to get you where you are. We all have had struggles in life. But those struggles have no place in holding us back and limiting our belief in ourselves. Make your make on this world and those in it by "Remembering where it is you came from and what it has taken to get you here."


And remember, if you aren't where you want to be, today is the day to begin that chapter in your life.


Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment