Saturday, June 16, 2012

It's About What We Left

Father's Day is tomorrow and I wanted to share what Father's Day means to me. Being a Dad is something that I have always wanted to be. Many little boys dream of become a firefighter, a policeman, a doctor, and many other things. Sure I had those dreams to, but it was always preceded by being a Dad. In 1992 I got that opportunity, my daughter was born and it was the happiest day of my life. I became a Dad again in 2003, when my son was born. My children mean the world to me. I love being a Dad. Sure, it's one of the hardest jobs in the world, but it's rewards are immeasurable. As my children have grown up, I have had to watch them fall, but physically and figuratively, but that it a part of the job. I have always tried to be there for them when they have needed me. 

My Dad died when I was almost 3 and I have no memories of him, only photos and story that people have shared with me. But, the stories that have been shared with me, have helped me realize that even though he was taken from me at an early age, he left a legacy that has lived on through the years. My Mom says that I am very much like my Dad. People who knew my Dad, say the same thing. I have heard so many wonderful stories about my Dad. How caring he was, his work ethic, and his family values. What he has left behind is a life that touched many people. I know that my Dad would be proud of me. 

When I was 15, my Mom got remarried and my step-Dad entered my life. Needless to say, I was not always the role model kids. I had temper issues and was a very typical rebellious teenager. My parents had their hands full. But my step-Dad has always been there for me and has always supported me. He never gave up on me becoming a responsible adult. Thank you for your love and support.

In 2005 I too became a step-Dad. I have tried my best to follow the great example that my step-Dad was to me. Even though we are not as close as I would like to be, I know that she knows I am always there for her. I love being a step-Dad too.

It's not what we leave for our children, it's what we leave in them. I hope that when I am gone, my children can look back, with a smile on their faces and in their hearts, at the legacy that I have left for them. Be the role model in your kids' life. Even if you have stumbled in the past, you can begin to create that legacy today.

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment