Monday, June 4, 2012

A Mirror Image

I recently posted on facebook, "The reflection that we see in the mirror is merely a reflection of our past choices, not a view of our future." The topic of what we see in the mirror has stuck with me for a couple of days now. I keep running it through my mind and I wanted to share some of my thoughts. 

Who and what we are today are results of the choices that we have made in the past. When you look in the mirror, you might see an overweight person, an alcoholic, a drug addict, a failure as a spouse or parent, or something else. The point is, you see that because that is what you have created. Now, you can blame your present situation on anything you want. You can say that is was because I was raise in the projects, my Mom didn't love me, my Dad abandoned me, I was bullied in school, I was molested, I was abused, or what ever else might have happened to you. All these things that have happened to you, is not who you are. You are a product of how you decided to react to these situations. Stop playing the blame game and having pity parties for you past. The only reason that it is holding you back is because you are still carrying that baggage. The only reason that you are not where you want to be in life is because you are allowing your past to dictate your future. You are allowing the image that you see in the mirror to become your reality.

Where you have been in life, what you have done, and what has happened to you, has nothing to do with where you can be in life. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that your past has nothing to do with your future, because it does. You have a choice to make, will your past make you or break you? You can allow it to continue to prevent you from accomplishing your greatness or you can use it as a tool and motivation to accomplishing your greatness. 

I allowed that imagine in the mirror to control my life for years. All I saw was that "short, fat kid", the kids that was told, "your dumb and will never amount to anything." Yes, my Father died when I was 3, yes, my brother died when I was 2, yes, I was abused as a kid, yes, I was bullied in school, and yes, I failed with my first marriage. I could have used any one of these things to just give up and chose to live less then what I was capable of. But I knew that I had more in me. I knew that I could accomplish something more than mediocrity. I had heart to move on. No it didn't happen over night, some of my image problems carried into my thirties. I was not going to allow my past to create my future. Sure, if I would have dealt with some of these issues sooner, my life might be different. But the point is, I never gave up.


So the next time that you look in the mirror, realize that you are staring face to face with your greatness. 


Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment