Sunday, July 15, 2012

Me and My Precipice

A friend of mine recently said that he has had the opportunity to stand at the top of a cliff, spread his arms wide open, and take the leap off. Now, he was talking about it in a metaphoric sense, but the idea is the same. We all have had those opportunities, to take that leap of faith, to throw caution to the wind, and go for whatever it is that we desire in life. Everyday that we wake up and get out of bed, we throw a certain amount of caution to the wind. Living just comes with a certain amount of risk.

The thing is, most of our everyday risks are greatly outweighed but the reward. Getting in a car is a far greater reward than walking 30 miles to work. Everyday our brain analyzes the risks that we are taking versus the rewards of doing those things. If the risks are to great, we step back and go a different and more familiar path. We are creatures of habit for the most part and choose those actions which cause us the least amount of stress, pain, and resistance. I have long been one of those people, my analytical brain surveys the situation and creates rational lists of pros and cons of why I should and shouldn't proceed in a particular direction in my life.

I dropped out of college and began a career in retail, not much risk there. I've moved several times in my career to better myself and the life of my family, there again, reward was greater than the risk. Looking back at my life, I have never really taken that huge risk in life. I've always wanted to, but every time, I chickened out. I have encouraged others to take a bigger risk, but never have myself. Call me a hypocrite if you want, but the tide is about to change.

Every time that I stood at my own personal precipice, held my arms wide open, looked down at the unknown, I stepped back and took the path of least resistance. This time it's different, this time I have no fear or reservation. This time I will take that leap, fall into the unknown, and risk it all for great success. These type of moments are the ones that test our resolve, our determination, and our faith. I will not waiver, I will not allow fear to stop me, and I know that great rewards come to those who take great risks.

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment