Sunday, June 16, 2013

Twice The Father's Day

Father's Day has, at times, been a bit awkward for me.  As many of you know, my Father died when I was almost 4. I have no memories, only photos and stories, that others have told me, to relate to when it comes to my Father. I know that my Father wasn't perfect in his 28 short years here on Earth. He, like all of us, had his faults. But what I have found out, is that, my Father, left a legacy. I have had, over the years, a chance to meet several people who knew my Dad. All of them, remember my Dad with such great admiration. He was a very loved man who touched so many lives, many of which, he probably never knew that he did. Even though my Father's time here on Earth was rather short, he made an impact on so many people.

Three things have come out of this situation for me. One, even though my Father isn't here, I want to live my life in a way that you make him proud. Two, make sure that I leave the kind of legacy that he did. Three, be the kind of Dad that he never had the chance to be.

Father's Family Name
by Anonymous

You got it from your father
It was all he had to give
So it's yours to use and cherish
For as long as you may live

If you lost the watch he gave you
It can always be replaced;
But a black mark on your name
Can never be erased

It was clean the day you took it
And a worthy name to bear
When he got it from his father
There was no dishonor there

So make sure you guard it wisely
After all is said and done
You'll be glad the name is spotless
When you give it to your son.

I hope that my kids, know how much I love them, how proud I am of them, and that leaving the right legacy  will effect generations to come.

The second part of Father's Day came about 25 years ago when my Mom got remarried. My Step-Dad has been amazing. He took on a teenager who could be rather unruly and that had anger management issues. He took on the role of Step-Dad and never looked back. Sure, him and I have had our issues, but I have never questioned his commitment to me or my Mom. He also showed my how to be a Step-Dad, which I didn't know that I would be one until about 10 years ago. I love my Step-Dad and am eternally grateful for all that he has done for me and my family.

This is for you Dave:


I hope, that when my time is done here on Earth, that my children will be proud to say that I was their Dad and Step-Dad. I know that I haven't been a perfect Dad/Step-Dad, but I take that role very seriously and love my family more than they will ever know.

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big


No comments:

Post a Comment