Thursday, June 27, 2013

Leader vs. Follower

Are you a leader or a follower? Whether you realize it or not, we all fall into both categories. Maybe not every day, but at some point in our lives we have been and probably will be again one or both of these. As a parent and a store manager puts me as a leader on a daily basis. As long as I am alive I will be a leader in my family. And since I am continually learning and trying to improve myself, I am a follower. I am open to moving forward from those who have gone before me and learn what they have learned.

One of the greatest books on leadership that I have ever read was, The One Minute Manger. It also happens to probably be one of the shortest. If you have never read it, I would encourage you to pick up a copy and take an hour out of your day and read it and then read it annually. It will give you a really good look into how you can be a very effective leader. Not just in business but life in general. It's amazing how these principles can work even at home.

One of my favorite things from this book is about being the kind of manager that you would want to work for. I have been in management for over 16 years and that has been one thing that I have tried to pride myself in. The majority of the people who have worked for me would agree that I am one of the best managers that they have worked for. I have never asked anything of anyone that I wasn't willing to do myself. I treated them with respect and in return, they respected me.

Here is my question to you. If you expect a manager to be the kind of manger that you want to work for, don't you think that you should be the kind of employee that you would want working for you? It goes both ways. Be the kind of leader that you would want to work for and be the kind of employee/follower that you would want working/following you.

We forget that everyday we come into contact with others. Whether you realize it or not, others are watching our actions and in-actions. Our lives are full or touch points with others While we are shopping, walking, driving, and everything in between. What kind of impression are you leaving on those around you? Are you being the kind of person that you want to be around?

Because of the time that I have spent in retail and the time that my wife has spent working in restaurants, I have even become the kind of customer that I would want in my store or eating in my restaurant. :)

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment