Monday, February 3, 2014

Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk, But...


It's easy to talk the talk but walking the walk can be much tougher. We all know those who only talk the talk but just won't back it up by walking the walk. We might even be guilty of doing this. It really is easier to talk the talk the talk, but to back it up with action holds a certain amount or responsibility. When we step into the realm of walking the walk, people have not choice but to take notice of what it is we are doing. We are then putting ourselves into a vulnerable state in which we are now subject to the opinions of others. That can be a very intimidating situation. 

For several years, I talked the talk and walked the walk of a happily married man in my first marriage. Even though I was talking the talk and walking , in reality is was not happily married. Not only was I fooling the public and those closest to me, I eventually began to fool myself. Even some of those closest to me, saw past the talk and the walk. Once I had gotten my divorce, those who knew the truth, came to me and told me so. It's not that they were rubbing it in my face, it was a matter of them coming to me to let me know what they had known all along. I have been fortunate enough to have some great people in my life who have been there for me when I needed strength and moral support.

Many people have not only mastered talking the talk, but they have also mastered walking the walk. As good as they are at these two things, the reality is, try as they might, they are still a product of their thoughts. You can put on the best front, but your real intentions will eventually come to the surface. We are a product of our thoughts. We might be able to cover up our thoughts with the talk and the walk most of the time, but trust me, our thoughts have a way of coming to the surface. Especially to those who know us the best. 

Those who know me personally, know that I can talk the talk and walk the walk when it comes to being a store manager. They also know that I can talk the talk and walk the walk when it comes to inspiring, motivating, and coaching them. However, I also believe in being transparent, so here it comes. I have had my priorities out of whack and then I end up procrastinating something that shouldn't be. I put off things that I believe are my goals, when in reality they are only dreams, because I have never put a deadline on them or any effort in making them a reality. I have had a dream to write a book, but I kept putting it off and putting it off. I made a commitment to get to work on it this year. I am happy to say that I have made a lot of progress on making that dream become a reality this year. I have about 80% of my first step done. The goal is to have the book completed by the end of August and then the finished product in hand by Christmas. 

The point is, as much as we put on a front and no matter how convincing, your thoughts actually control your life. Eventually your thoughts leak out into your life and expose the real you. The only way to avoid this trap of just talking the talk and walking the walk all the while trying to hide your thoughts, is to be authentic to yourself. Stop hiding behind your false sense of security of the facade that you have created. When you are authentic to your true nature and actually become more connected to the world around you. Be your thoughts, walk the thoughts, talk the thoughts. That is a life worth living.

Adapt, Improvise, And Overcome to become your very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment