Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Never Leave It In The Hands Of The Judges

I am a fan of MMA and I recently had the opportunity to attend a great night of amateur fights. The night had a little bit of everything. Submissions, knockouts, TKOs’, and some even went the distance. Dana White, President of  the UFC, has said it over and over again, “  Never leave it in the hands of the judges.”  Meaning, either knock your opponent out or make them quit. When you go the distance and leave it up to the judges, your fate is now in their hands. I have watch many fights go the distance and the person who I thought won , and many others watching the fight thought had won, ended up losing the decision. For what ever reason, the judges saw it differently than the rest of us.

This is exactly what happen to a friend of mine during his fight the other night. His title fight went all five rounds and ended up going to the judges scorecards. Sure, the guy that he was fighting was the hometown favorite fighting in his hometown, and was the defending champion. But all that aside, my friend didn’t finish the fight. He lost a very close split decision and I think that the crowd was as split as the judges.

There are two things in life that I don’t think that we should leave up to the “judges.". One is our challenges and the other is our dreams. We need to go into the fights with our challenges and dreams with the attitude that we are going to finish them on our terms. When we do just enough to get by and leave the rest to sort itself out instead of finishing, we stand the chance of it not ended the way we planned. Now I know that we will not always get everything exactly the way we want it in life. But I would rather “leave it all in the cage” and know that I gave it all I’ve got, than to leave my fate in the hands of someone else.

When we are not pursuing our own dreams, we are then pursuing the dreams of someone else or the dreams that someone else has for us. When we are not trying to overcome the challenges that come our way in life, we are then allowing life to control us instead of us controlling our lives. I know some of the challenges that I will face in the pursuit of my dreams. I can see some of the obstacles that I will face in the pursuit of my dreams and I am not willing to leave that in the hands of the judges. I am not will to wait and see what happens. I am willing to enter the cage and look my opponent in the eyes, whether it be challenges in life or my dreams, and leave it all in the cage. I will go ahead and put my dreams and life’s challenges on notice. I’m coming for you and I am going for the knockout or the submission and if for some reason it has to go to the decision, even if I lose the decision, I will know that I did my best. I know that I gave it my all. I left it all in the cage and I will learn and grow from my experience so that next time, I will leave no doubt that I WON.

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment