Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Prove Them Wrong

I was told as young boy, repeatedly by a certain adult, that I would never amount to anything. I allowed these words influence me into early twenties. I allowed those words to echo in my mind when ever I would try achieve something new. In my early twenties I had the opportunity to meet a wonderful couple that help me realize that I had something special. They believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself. They introduced me to the world of motivational speakers and self-help. They helped me to gain a larger vision of myself. As I began to develope myself, I made the decision that I would use those words, "You'll never amount to anything" to motivate me. I decided that I would prove that person wrong.

Be careful what you say to people and especially children. My wife and I believe that, in correcting our children, we are upset with the action and never the child. The child is never stupid but maybe the action was. We have great kids, but sometimes their actions weren't so great. I believe that we have to treat adults the same. In my years of experience as a manager, the action needed corrected not the person. When we direct our frustrations toward an individual and not their action, we are merely tearing down their self-esteem. I was taught years ago, as a sales manager, to critique in the "Build-Burn-Build" method. "Build" them up by telling them what they did right. "Burn" down what they did wrong and give them solutions as to what might have worked better. Finally, "Build" them back up and reenforce what they can do better next time. Try it the next time you have a conflict to resolve and let me know how it works for you.


Don't let the foolish words of someone else dictate your life. I allowed this person's opinion of me to become my reality for years. Once I came to the realization, that I could be and was so much better than this person thought I was, the sky was the limit. It took a couple of years to really erase all those years of believing that I wouldn't amount to anything. It took a lot of personal growth on my part and a lot of love and support from some very special people in my life. It was well worth the journey.

Some would say that I have accomplished a lot with my life, and to them I say, "Thank you." Personally, I know that I have only touched the tip of this iceberg. Many years have passed since I last heard those words from that person, "You'll never amount to anything" and from what I understand, they have loosely kept track of me over the years. To that person I would like to say, "I proved you wrong." The greatest revenge is massive success. Go out and prove your critics wrong.


Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big


No comments:

Post a Comment