Thursday, November 3, 2011

It's Ok To Be Selfish

I am sure that most of us consider ourselves to be unselfish people. We give of ourselves when and where we can. We especially go out of our way for family and close friends. We help people move, we give to our favorite charities, we donate our time to helping those in need, and we even send encouraging messages to those hurting. These are the kinds of action that we should do for others without expecting something in return and these are very unselfish acts.

All of this is well and good but we need to be more selfish. It doesn't mean that we stop doing those things that I have mentioned, but it means that we need to work on our own happiness. We get so caught up in all of the dramas of everyday life that we neglect ourselves. When struggles happen in life we get so worked up over them that we begin to forget about being happy. When our focus is not on ourselves and what makes us happy we are then less effective in helping others not to mention that fact that is begins to effect those closest to us without even saying a word. 

The lack of happiness triggers depression and what good are you to those who mean the most to you if you are depressed? We have become society of rush, rush, rush, that we put our own needs aside for the sake of others. But what good are we when we are less than 100%? I can personally testify that what I am saying is true. I made a decision almost a year ago that I was going to work on me and what makes me happy because I know that if I am happy I am of more value to those around me. Sure, I have still had my tough times, but it's a process and it takes time to reprogram your brain to pursue your happiness. Figure out what makes you happy in life and go after that. When we direct our thoughts and actions toward what makes us happy, the struggles in life will fight to get the attention that they were used to. The struggles will start to seem like the "small things" and we all know not to "sweat the small things."

What we are and who we become are all products of our thoughts and actions. If you are in an unhappy relationship, unhappy with your job, unhappy with your car or home stop dwelling on it. Turn your attention to what is making you happy and things will start turning around for you. Remember that you didn't get in this rut overnight and you won't get out overnight. But trust me on this, the results far out weigh the effort.

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment