Sunday, March 31, 2013

Oblivious

I have to admit that, when I have time, I am a people watcher. I like to see how people interact with others and themselves. It is amazing what you can learn about others from their actions. I used to think that people are rude because they just are, but I have come to realize that I was wrong. As I have looked deeper into the actions of others that it's not people are rude but rather  from a lack of action. Those who cut you off in traffic or in the grocery store. Maybe it's someone who you said "Hi" to and they didn't answer. It could be that time that you held a door for someone and they didn't say, "Thank you." Most of the time, I don't believe that these people mean to come off as rude. Most of us were raised to be polite. Speak when spoken to, hold doors, say "Please and Thank you." But what happens is, we get so engulfed on our own personal life experience that we become oblivious to the things happening around us. That person on their cell phone in line at the store, ignoring the cashier, oblivious to their surroundings. My wife and I were in Wal-Mart the other day and I was attending to my phone, where I had my shopping list, and she started to walk away. She said, "What you can't walk and be on your phone?" I told her that I was capable but I didn't want to because it would take my attention to those who might be around me. I finished checking thing off my shopping list and then we continued to shop. I chose not to become oblivious to my surrounding. I would encourage you all to do a self check and see how oblivious you become. I understand that we are all busy and multitasking has become the normal in our lives, but take a step back from time to time and check you level of oblivious. Our world is moving so fast that we have take time to slow down. Maybe it is while we are watching TV and become more aware of what our children are tell us. You can still accomplish your tasks but you don't have to shut out the world. I believe that when we become more aware of our surrounding, we will be able to expand our lives. It is a big world out there, begin to take it in again. Remove the blinders and begin to live a fuller life. When you take that walk from the parking lot into the store, take in the sights and sounds around you. It kind of goes back to the old saying, "Stop and smell the roses" but I would take it one step further. Stop and look at the roses. You never know, maybe that opportunity that you have been waiting for is right in front of you, but you have been missing it because you have become oblivious.

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment