Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Alternative Family

Last Saturday afternoon I received a personal phone call from one of my regular customers from the Muscatine store informing me that his wife had passed away on Wednesday. This is the first time in my 20 years of retail that a customer took time out of their life to inform me of a upcoming funeral. Sunday afternoon, I attended this wonderful woman's funeral service. Another first, attending a customer's funeral. This lady, treated me like and even called me her son. She and her husband are wonderful people who never seem to have a gray cloud in their sky. Always a cheerful disposition and a smile on their faces. She even called me "Howie" from time to time, referencing that I look like Howie Mandel. She was like my Dollar Tree Mom. She always made a point to come find me and give me a hug.
 
When we think of family, we most often think of parents, siblings, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, cousins, and such. Most of us have great family members who have always been there for us when times are good or bad. They have been there to give us some words of wisdom, been a should to cry on, or even helped us to get into mischief. I have some fantastic memories with various family members over the years. I am very blessed to have such a great family.

I have also been fortunate enough to have some amazing people come into my life who weren't family members. There again, a shoulder to cry on, words of wisdom, and even some mischief. We don't always understand why these people have entered our life until we take the opportunity to look back at the moments that we have shared. When did these people enter our lives, what role have they played, and what are the moments that we have shared? I believe that everything happens for a reason and I believe that these people enter our lives for a purpose. Many of the people that have came into my life, have only been for a short time. I have learned so much from these people and they have played such important roles in my life. Like the lady that recently passed, she was a smile when I needed it. Like the couple that entered my life in my early twenties, who became like parents to me when I had hit hard times. Like the man with multiple-sclerosis who taught me to appreciate what I do have and not long for what I don't. 

Sometimes the members of my alternative family have been co-workers, classmates, and now even customers. Take a moment and look at your alternative family members and let them know what they mean to you. Also, consider the alternative family that you might be a part of  or might become a part of and realize the impact that you can and will have. 

R.I.P. Nina

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment