Monday, September 19, 2011

Did I Pursue The Wrong Dream?

A couple of years ago, while on vacation with family in Alabama, we stayed in a motel that wasn’t exactly what they led us to believe on their website. The indoor pool was closed, the room was smaller than expected, the room was not as clean nor maintained as we expected. There was a party upstairs with what seemed to me to be a rough crowd. As I was trying to fall sleep, I was just waiting to hear gun shots and dreading what condition I might find my car in in the morning considering I was from out of state. We thought about changing motels, but we had already paid for them and we would have lost our money plus had to pay for another room somewhere else. The good news is, nothing bad happened and we got through our three day stay there.

Dreams and goals can sometimes be like this as well. We paint a great picture in our mind of what it will look and feel like when we achieve our dreams. We just know that achieving this will change our lives and we will be so happy. But when we get there it isn’t exactly all that we thought that is was cracked up to be. It doesn’t feel nor look anything like the picture in our mind and we aren’t as happy as we thought we would be. WOW, what a major let down! We have our next dream lined up, but it’s still a work in progress, so we are stuck with what we have. Now what do we do?

I know this situation all to well. I understand that everything happens for a reason, but I am not always the most patient person in waiting for the “why.” So here I sit with a dream that I am no longer driven to sustain and another dream that I am working on but haven’t achieved. I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have days where the frustrations of being where I no longer want to be override the enthusiasm of chasing a dream. Those are the days that I need to force myself to make bigger strides toward my dream, so that is why I am writing this at Midnight when I have to be up at 7:00 A.M. This is a part of my story that I want to share and probably therapeutic for me as well.

Now don’t get me wrong, I chased the dream and I am proud of my accomplishments. I learned a lot along the way that will help me in the future. I believe that this is just a part of the process that I must go through in order to become the best me possible. It’s a part of my journey in this thing called life. I have nothing in this life that I regret and I won’t start now. So for now, I will keep this “motel room” and remember what is was like to stay here. This way when I get to the next one, I will remember where I came from and what it took me to get here.

Dream Big…Pursue Big…Live Big

Find me on Facebook at AIAO Life Coaching or Email me at AIAOLifeCoaching@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment