Thursday, January 31, 2013

How Did YOU Make YOU Feel Today?

I was reading in a book this evening and was reminded of a quote, from Maya Angelou, that I have read many times over but I saw it in a different light.

"I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them fee."

While I believe that this is an awesome quote and should be at the forefront of our minds daily, for some reason, I realized another application of it.

"I've learned that I will forget what I said, I will forget what I did, but I will never forget how I made me feel." 

Our self talk is probably the most damaging or empowering part of our lives. It's said that within our words are life and death. What we tell ourselves controls our actions. Sure we can go against our words, but most of the time it is only a temporary situation. "I am NOT going on that roller-coaster!" But sure enough, we give in and go. "I will never get back into a relationship with him/her. Next week we are posting on facebook how in lover we are with that very person. It's not that we are indecisive, it's just that our true nature, the things that we have repeatedly told ourselves, eventually make their way to the surface. We have programmed ourselves through what we tell ourselves. We end up going on that roller-coaster because deep down we know that it will probably be fun. We end up back in that bad relationship because we don't think that we will be able to find anyone else. We have the ability to breathe life and death into our lives. What kind of person do you truly desire to be? Tell yourself about you as that person. Sure it sounds weird to start, but the fact of the matter is, it works. Is there a bad habit that you want to change? Tell yourself about what your life will look like without that habit. When we are trying to move away from the negative things in our life, we have to replace them with a positive or, chances are, one bad habit will be replaced by another bad habit. 

Before you fall asleep tonight, tell yourself about all the positive things that happened in your life today. You may have some days that all you can think of is how you got that parking spot closest to the door at the grocery store. Take what you can everyday. Before your feet hit the floor in the morning, tell yourself about all the positive things that you will accomplish today. Begin to breathe life into your life and stop yourself from breathing death to the things in your life that you desire and deserve. 

How did YOU make YOU feel today?

Dream Big...Pursue Big...Live Big

No comments:

Post a Comment